News,entertainment,Fashion and Bead Making

Saturday 8 October 2016

Legendary South African Icon Desmond Tutu celebrates 85th birthday




Image result for desmond tutu

Retired Anglican archbishop and anti-apartheid veteran Desmond Tutu celebrated his 85th birthday yesterday in South Africa.

The legend currently undergoing treatment for cancer treatment announced that he was prepared for his death and would like an assisted death instead of being kept alive at all costs.

The Nobel Peace Prize laureate opinion post on the Washington Post newspaper published on his 85th birthday on Friday, said that ‘I hope I am treated with compassion and allowed to pass on to the next phase of life’s journey in the manner of my choice.’

Tutu declared his support for assisted suicide two years ago after a lifelong opposition.

“Today, I myself am even closer to the departures hall than arrivals, so to speak, and my thoughts turn to how I would like to be treated when the time comes. Now more than ever, I feel compelled to lend my voice to this cause.” Wrote Tutu in the Washington Post.

“In refusing dying people the right to die with dignity, we fail to demonstrate the compassion that lies at the heart of Christian values,” said Archbishop Tutu

View image on Twitter


Early on Friday, Tutu presided over eucharist at his home church in Cape Town, an AFP photographer witnessed. Tutu, who became the first black Anglican archbishop of Cape Town in 1986, had a cup of tea with worshippers after the Friday morning service
 


No comments:

Post a Comment